January 11, 2011

Small Spaces

I don't know what it is about my love of small space living. Most people think I'm crazy, but I'm absolutely obsessed with it. Maybe it's my love of city life and my longing to be a part of it, that I know small space living is what comes with that lifestyle. Or maybe it's the coziness I love to feel every time I walk into my house. I'm not too sure, but all I know this obsession is somewhat ridiculous.


In 2006 we were living comfortably in our 1500 square foot home and I was loving it. Then in October I got pregnant with our first child. For those of you who aren't like me and don't count pets as children, then you can say she is our only child :-) Anyway, the minute I got pregnant my husband and my thinking went crazy. For me I can blame it on the hormones, but I don't know what his excuse was. Maybe he was afraid of disagreeing with his pregnant wife.....I'm not too sure. So as first time parents and not being exposed to many friends with children, we thought that our family was growing so its only right that everything else had to as well. We quickly called our realtor and told him that we needed to sell our house and get into a larger one asap! We devoted every weekend searching for the perfect house for our growing family. Our ideal house would be at least 4 bedrooms or more because "we at least needed one for us, one for the baby, one for guests or an office, and one when we had another child". Oh, and the backyard had to also be huge because we would be "spending all our time out there"! So we found our perfect house! LARGE, LARGE, LARGE! 3500 square feet large and it was perfect. Well, that's until we moved in. I can't say that I totally hated it. I mean it was great for having parties and friends over. Because that's what homebodies do right? Have lots of parties and people over! Well, having tons of parties and people over all the time must have been another thought that somehow got into our heads because of those hormones again. See, my husband and I are total homebodies who would rather attend parties that are not held in our house but at someone else's. LOL. I'm not sure if it was god's way of kicking our butts into gear to get into a home that would make us happy, but a job change happened that opened our eyes to finally admit that we needed to move.


So after 2-years in the home, we ended up moving into a home that I absolutely love. It's a wonderful house at 2500 square feet. While it's not the ideal size that I want, I still love every minute of living in it. And the location is perfect! But that's another story. But the time has come for us to make another move. That too is another story!! So my search for our next place has brought me back to wanting an even smaller space that we looked at this past weekend. To me it's the perfect place. It's a 3-story with 1800 square feet and reminds me of a NYC brownstone. While we're definitely not living in NYC, I can at least pretend :-) So now this longing to move into this new place has opened up a new obsession for 'small space living' blogs and website. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, here are a few of the many ideas I've come across that I absolutely love for our next cozy small space. Fingers crossed!!



Love the shelving.


I love this!



Check out apartment therapy for more awesome pictures!!